Southwest Tour Testimonial
“I recently completed a Southwest photo tour with Rob Holt (my third with him). Within a few days Rob had me seeing the incredible Southwest sites in an entirely new way through the lens of my Panasonic Lumix compact camera. Rob has also enabled me to take my basics of photographic composition and expand it in ways that I could not possibly have envisioned on my own. When I am on tour with him, he provides constant encouragement to explore what I am looking at in many different ways, and I have just returned from the Southwest with a large collection of images that I am very excited about.
There are a number of things that I believe make Rob’s tours exceptional, whether you are a novice landscape photographer or an experienced one:
1) Rob offers tours to the Southwest and New England; these are areas with which he has developed years of familiarity and which have provided the rich subject matter of his own work. He continues to expand his repertoire by scouting new photographic opportunities. The several new, somewhat remote sites that he recently found in the Southwest, and the hikes to get to them, proved to be some of the most rewarding experiences of that trip.
2) Rob is an amazing trip planner, beginning months in advance of the tour. His thoroughness in scouting and planning results in a constant flow of opportunities to take great photographs throughout the day.
3) Great landscape photography depends on the quality of light on the subject matter. Rob’s own work demonstrates his understanding of this. He pays close attention to the optimal lighting conditions for any particular location and will make sure you are in place and ready to shoot when the light is “right” from the best vantage point.
4) Out in the field Rob has a unique eye for contextual relationships and can provide helpful hints for composition. He is a thoughtful and patient instructor and is very willing to offer instruction to those requesting it. I found it particularly helpful to download my photos from the day’s shoot to my iPad, and have Rob provide constructive criticism of the work at the end of the day.
I am very much looking forward to my next tour with Rob wherever that may be. I know I can count on him to provide many well-researched, exceptional photographic opportunities. Beyond his obvious capabilities as a photo tour guide, I think you will find Rob to be very knowledgeable about the history and culture of the area that you are exploring with him. He is also good company, enthusiastic about what he does, and great fun to be around.”
- Hamilton Hazlehurst, Seattle, WA